Introducing the Service Leadership Corps
June 15, 2018
We are proud to announce that in October of 2018, a new wave of veteran leaders will rise up to continue the mission of impact and service through our new program, Service Leadership Corps (SLC).
The Mission Continues Service Leadership Corps is a six-month community-based leadership program for US Military veterans and current members of the National Guard and Reserves.
Throughout the program, Corps members will build their leadership skills alongside a national network of veterans through in-person gatherings and a virtual learning environment. Veterans will engage in learning through real-world application in partnership with a community organization, and will have opportunities to connect with each other and the community they serve.
Applications open today, June 15. To learn more, click here for program details and eligibility requirements.
Benefits to Corps Members
- Develop strong community-based leadership skills
- Apply aspects of advocacy, cultural competence, public speaking, and human-centered design through a project with a national partner
- Develop a compelling vision for your role as a community-based leader
- Connect to a network of veterans and community partners to lead community change efforts
- Improve interpersonal communication and presentation skills
- Have access to a dynamic and sustainable leadership network nationwide
- Professional Development Bonus awarded upon successful completion of the full program
“CORPS” Program Overview
The challenging community-based leadership curriculum includes engagement in workshops, online learning, individual activities and assignments, guest speakers, and experiential learning through community service. Corps members will engage in group and individual learning throughout their experience in the program. The curriculum will include such skill and knowledge building as advocacy, cultural competence, public speaking, problem-solving, and assessing community needs.
Online Community & Cohorts:
The Service Leadership Corps Program utilizes both in-person learning opportunities as well as leveraging a virtual community to keep corps members connected to each other. The online community will provide the corps members the chance to learn together in virtual trainings and workshops and to collaborate while being in different cities across the country between in-person sessions.
Real World Application:
During the program, veterans will connect directly with community organizations and take on clearly defined projects for the organizations, working to solve a real-time challenge in the community.
Corps members will build confidence and abilities in problem-solving, resiliency, communication and advocacy through a cycle of learning and application of skills. At the completion of the program, they will have an increased ability to identify, assess, and plan solutions to address community needs.
When Corps members return home to their cities between in-person sessions, they will continue their curriculum while applying their skills to real-time community challenges. They will have the tools to make an impact in the community and finish the program ready to continue their service in their communities.
Every Corps Member Commits To:
- Partnering with a community organization through a group project learning experience
- Attendance at virtual trainings and group meet-ups between in-person sessions
- Timely completion of curriculum requirements/deliverables (3-5 hours per week between in-person sessions)
- Sharing openly with others and respecting and learning from differences
- Attending all four MANDATORY in-person sessions
- October 18-20, 2018: Newark, NJ
- December 14-16, 2018: Chicago, IL
- February 8-10, 2019: Washington, DC
- April 26-28, 2019: Atlanta, GA
Note: Applicants are required to verify their military service by providing a copy of your DD-214 or NGB-22. If you have already provided The Mission Continues a copy of DD-214 or NGB-22, then you do not need to re-submit a copy.