Please note: If you are feeling sick, have had any COVID symptoms which include fever, cough and shortness of breath in the past 14 days, or identify as having a higher risk for severe illness please stay home and be safe. While we encourage participation for those that are low-risk and in good health, we ask everyone, irrespective of age and health status, to adopt extra safety measures. We welcome you to join any of our virtual service events and look forward to seeing you healthy at a future project.
Platoon Leaders will ensure the safety of our volunteers, partners and the community by implementing safety protocols and procedures . Please contact the event organizer if you have any questions.
Join the Washington DC Service Platoon as we remember 9/11 with a special event at the Fredrick Douglas Community Center.
Located in the Douglass Community, this community center is one of the oldest in Ward 8. The Douglass Community Center has amazing outdoor amenities that include a popular playground supporting a large community in the surrounding area.
Projects 1. Paint and build out a teen center. This will be used for teens to have a safe place to go to and spend time together.
2. Paint sports room. We will be painting sports shadows on the walls and repairing shelve for a room used for boxing and other training.
3. Out to the garden. Build and repair several garden beds, weed and add gravel to garden used to feed the community.
4. Repair benches and pergola in adjacent sports field
5. Refresh basketball courts by re-netting hoops, repainting lines and removing vegetation from fence line
6. Clean up and remove vegetation from playground and unity space in the facility
7. Paint murals on walls of the community center
Followed by a BBQ lunch on site for our volunteers. Take time to get to know each other a little more.
We will ensure we follow proper protocols for protection at the site for all.
Nearest Metro: Congress Heights Metro Station (Green/Yellow)
What To Wear :
Appropriate clothing and closed toed shoes. Blue TMC shirt or pick one up here.
What To Bring :
Personal COVID protection (Mask and other personal items) We will have sanitizer and gloves on site.